Landssjúkrahúsið, originally named Dronning Alexandrines Hospital after the Danish Queen, was founded in 1924. In the 1960’s the hospital was expanded and officially declared the National Hospital of the Faroe Islands.
The last large expansion of the hospital was completed in 2004. It enlarged the hospitals physical area by 5.600 well equipped square meters containing among others a whole new department of surgery, emergency unit, laboratory and medical outpatient clinic.
A new building is being projected, which according to the plan will be completed by 2019, at the hospital's 95 anniversary.
Landssjúkrahúsið uses an Electronic Health Record (Cosmic Gambio) system that connects the entire national health service.
Dronning Aleksandrines Hospital was established in February 1924
Celebrating the beginning of the development project of building B
The tall building was completed during the years 1968-1970.
The psyciatric departments were established. The taller buildings to the left are staff apartments, and the lower buildings are psyciatric departments.
The construction of the G building was completed in 2004.
The B building has been restored in 2012 and now has a green surface.
The new building H, is planned to be completed by February 23th 2019 -
at the hospital's 95th anniversary.